Wednesday, December 08, 2004

interview

Calvin and I have named our game the lOneLy cIty. The name reflects the player interacts with the background, and how the location is presented in the game.
We are in the process of making a video game, which doesn't require much physical action. But there is lots of sitting, and clicking on the mouse. But there is a lot of problem solving, and game play that provokes natural interpretation and analytical thought, as well as, aesthetic and audible interpretation.
Some adjectives I would use to describe the game would be revealing, mysterious, involving, and essentially thought provoking. However, at the moment the game might also be sketchy, and/or frustrating.
The genre, and program we used is for old school, classic 2-D games. the program was easily available, and fairly easy to understand.
Our game would be categorized under computer gaming. I wanted to explore this genre formally, and try to ingrate my own aesthetic practices into a digital role playing, semi-narrative, game. I am also very interested in learning computer gaming programs, in order to explore the possibilities of game as Art.
Only one person can play at a time. But everyone can play it.
It is for this reason we do not want the game to be site-specific, and maybe have it available to anyone on the internet.
We have tried to separate our game from the rest of computer games by really approaching it as an art project. We have created the narrative, and meaningful play of the game to create a substantial dialogue between the player, and programer.
The core mechanic of the game is visual problem solving. The game has many underlying themes which all revolve around questions of self, and self discovery. The two are inseparable and developed together.
Hopefully the player will experience first a meaningful engagement with the decision making, which will hopefully create a lasting impression on the player, who can then draw parallels of the game into their own lives.
We were constricted by the rules of the program, but there are some nice end scenarios which result from how each individual interprets the game, and its these elements I find most gratifying.
The hardest elements to figure out where are how the objects, and characters in the game affect the players progress, as well as how to visually integrate these object into background, a troubling problem I have yet to overcome.
The most obvious thing I learned from the first beta testing, including my own beta testing, is that the size of the character really affects the gaming experience But that maybe we could work the programs faults to create a unique cognitive experience while playing.
I am very hopeful that the game will turn out on point. But its just so much work that, and sometime I question putting in all this effort, to something i can't ultimately control.
Something I might do differently next time would create the models for the backgrounds. I could do this with drawings, or even miniatures. yeah i think that would be awesome.
At the moment I definitely don't think that the world needs more computer games, but I am attempting to confront what this global trend, and perhaps influence a genre that has been dominated by Kitsch.
I believed a well designed game creates extremely meaningful play, which is intertwined with elements of competition, perfection, or even more importantly social interactions, or dialogues produced by the game.
I think meaningful play has helped me develop the game the most. By reading many definitions of what a game is really enhanced my perspective of why I am drawn to specific games. However, I don't feel that any of the readings addressed why games play such a crucial in society (especially video games.), and what the long term affects that are being caused by such a new powerful trend in American culture.
I found working in a game genre as rewarding, but at the same time extremely frustrating. parts of the developmental process feels like manual labour, although with out the benefit of physical excursion. But if I end up producing a quality product, it will be all good. And the fact is that with my medium of choice (painting) I am constantly frustrated in myself, so perhaps it's all relative.
The world should know that gaming programs are essentially a tools, which can they be used for Art, Kitsch or varying degrees of perversion.
(I will answer the reading question whn i have the reader with me)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home